Readings for CS448: Real-Time Shading
Papers and articles available on the web will not
be handed out in class. Pointers to the online versions of
papers are included by the reference. You are expected
to download and print these papers yourselves. One reason for
doing this is that many graphics papers contain pictures
that do not reproduce well when copied.
Digital Libraries are now available online for Stanford students.
Readings not available online will be handed out in class. They will
also be available in the CS448 course handout cabinet in
Gates Rm 377 (the copy room in the graphics wing 3B).
Mar 29 Introduction
Chapter 14 from Watt and Watt, Advanced Rendering and Animation Techniques (handout).
Apr 3 RenderMan Shading Language
- A language for Shading and Lighting Calculations, Pat Hanrahan and Jim Lawson, SIGGRAPH 1990, pp.289-298. (Handout)
- Excerpts from Advanced RenderMan, by Apodaca and Gritz
- pp. 159-182 -- Intro to Shading Language
- pp. 281-284, 291-302, 272-274 -- Shader Strategy & Examples
- pp. 45, 247-255 -- Noise
Apr 15 -- Current real-time shading systems
- A Shading Language on Graphics Hardware: The PixelFlow Shading System, Marc Olano and Anselmo Lastra, SIGGRAPH 1998, pp. 159-168.
- Quake 3: Arena Shader Manual, Revision 12, Paul Jaquays and Brian Hook,
December 1999. (Handout was version 10)
- Interactive Multi-Pass Programmable Shading, Mark Peercy and Marc Olano and John Airey and Jeff Ungar, SIGGRAPH 2000 (to appear).
- A Framework for Real-Time Programmable Shading with Flexible Vertex
and Fragment Processing, Kekoa Proudfoot, William R. Mark and
Pat Hanrahan, January, 2000, unpublished paper. (Handout)
- Shading language and immediate-mode API documentation for Stanford
real-time shading system. (Handouts)
May 3 -- Hardware for real-time programmable shading
InfiniteReality: a real-time graphics system, John S. Montrym,
Daniel R. Baum, David L. Dignam and Christopher J. Migdal;
SIGGRAPH 97, pp. 293 - 302
PixelFlow: high-speed rendering using image composition, Steven Molnar,
John Eyles, and John Poulton. SIGGRAPH 92, pp. 231-240.
- The Reyes image rendering architecture.
Robert Cook, Loren Carpenter, and Edwin Catmull,
SIGGRAPH 87, pp. 95-102. (Handout).
- Texture Shaders. Michael McCool and Wolfgang Heidrich, Eurographics/SIGGRAPH Workshop on Graphics Hardware 1999, pp. 117-126.
- Polygon Rendering on a Stream Architecture. John Owens, William Dally, Ujval Kapasi, Peter Mattson and Ben Mowery. Paper submission. (Handout,
if I get a clean copy in time for class).
- The F-Buffer: A Rasterization-Order FIFO Buffer for Multi-Pass Rendering,
William Mark and Kekoa Proudfoot. Paper submission (Handout).