Entry from Centennial Portrait and Biographical Record of the City of Dayton and of Montgomery County, Ohio, pages 1282,1285:
CHRISTIAN A. COLER, of Dayton and Farmersville, Ohio, and one of the leading farmers of Jackson township, springs from old colonial stock of Maryland. His ancestry is both German and English. Adam Koller, as he spelled the name, was a native of the northern part of Maryland, and owned a farm on the line between that state and Pennsylvania (Mason & Dixon's line), his land lying chiefly in Pennsylvania. His children were Joseph, John, Polly and Elizabeth. In religious belief Adam Koller was a Lutheran, and was opposed to slavery. He lived to be seventy years of age, and his wife lived to be seventy-five.
Joseph Koller, son of the above, was born on his father's farm in Maryland, was reared a farmer and married, in Pennsylvania, Elizabeth Eby, daughter of Christian and Susan (McDaniel) Eby, the Eby family being of German and the McDaniel family of Scotch-Irish ancestry. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Koller first settled in Baltimore county, Md., on a farm, but came to Ohio in 1832, locating in Montgomery county, in Jackson township, on 160 acres of land, which was partially cleared, and which Mr. Koller finished clearing. This he made into a good farm and upon it he passed his remaining days. He died at the early age of forty-five years, a member of the German Baptist church. Mrs. Koller died at the age of eighty-nine years, an exemplary mother and Christian, a member of the Gerrman Baptist church. Mr. Koller was well educated for his day, and was an unusually successful man, accumulating by his thrift and good management 540 acres of land. The children born to him were Susan, Christian A., Noah and Jane.
Christian A. Coler was born May 26, 1825, in Baltimore county, Md., and was therefore seven years of age when brought to Montgomery county by his parents. He was well educated in his youth, attending not only the common schools, but also Wittenberg college and, later, Miami university, from which he graduated in 1858. He had been a teacher for several years before entering college, teaching in both Ohio and Indiana. After his graduation he resumed farming and married Catherine Bear, born in 1840, in German township, Montgomery county, Ohio, and a daughter of Henry and Lydia (Swihart) Bear.
Henry Bear was born in Montgomery county, Ohio, and was of German stock. He was a son of an early pioneer of Montgomery county, was a good farmer, and by his first wife had one child, Catherine; and by his second wife, Ellen Bruner, the following children: Albert S., Florence, Ira, Paul and Myrtle. Mr. Bear is still living and is now eighty-three years of age.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Coler settled in Jackson township, on the line of German township, on a farm of 264 acres of land, which Mr. Coler purchased. After sixteen years of successful farming he removed to his present farm, where he owns 165 acres of excellent land, beside several pieces of property in the city of Dayton. In 1894 Mr. Coler moved to West Dayton, but spends several months during the summer and fall on his farm, two miles southeast of Farmersville, on the Germantown and Farmersville pike. In 1862 Mr. Coler was commissioned captain of company C, Twelfth regiment, Ohio national guard, which position he held until entering the United States service in the spring of 1864. On the call of the president for troops, Mr. Coler reported for duty May 2nd, and was commissioned first lieutenant of compny F, One Hundred and Thirty-first regiment, Ohio volunteer infantry, was on duty in Virginia and Maryland, was honorably discharged August 25, 1864, and with his company returned to Dayton. Politically Mr. Coler is a republican and Mr. and Mrs. Coler were present at the inauguration of Mr. Lincoln, the first president of the party. Mr. Coler was a member of the Sixty-first general assembly of Ohio, the only man save one elected on the republican ticket in Montgomery county in the fall of 1873. While in the legislature in 1875, he advocated the enlargement of the Miami & Erie canal to the capacity of the Erie canal of New York, and introduced a resolution to that effect.
Mr. and Mrs. Coler are members of the Baptist Brethren church. Mr. Coler being an educated man, has always taken a deep interest in educational matters, and has for several years served as manager of the Farmers' institute, to which he has contributed papers. He is a member of the G. A. R., Carlton Bear post, 516, Germantown, also a member of the P. of H., and has always sympathized with the interests of the farmers. He has also taken an active interest in school affairs, serving as a member of the school board for several years. Mr. Coler is a man of wide reading and has a well-selected library. He has long enjoyed the confidence of the people and has been called upon to settle a number of estates, and has transacted much business with the courts. A public-spirited man, he has aided churches, favored good roads, and encouraged all enterprises calculated to advance the public good. In the many positions of trust which he has filled, he has been faithful and true, having given entire satisfaction to all who were associated with him, and having won credit for himself in every capacity.