This is a list of web sites and resources related to RenderMan that
could come in handy during the quarter. The list is in no way
exhaustive, and do not reflect our endorsement of a particular product
or site. This list will expand as the quarter progresses.
Documentation and Examples
Renderers and Modelers
- Moonlight 3D
- a free modeler for Linux that can output RIB files. The original developers no longer support this product, but it can still be downloaded from loyal fans on the 'net. We will make this available to the class.
- Blue Moon Rendering Tools - a
shareware RenderMan-compliant renderer for nearly all platforms
(Windows, Linux, SGI, etc). They also have a pretty comprehensive
listing of RenderMan related links.
UPDATE: Seems like BMRT isn't being distributed anymore...
- a shareware modeler that can output RIB files. Also available for
nearly all platforms.
Note that it only supports polygonal models.
The shareware version doesn't allow you to re-edit your models
after you shut the program down :(
Ray Tracing Resources
Tracing News - a newsletter with all sorts of useful code, news,
and information on ray tracing.
- Internet Raytracing Competition
- a good source of inspiration about scene composition and modeling.
The entries here really illustrate the artistic potential of ray tracing.