- Compaq Systems Research Center
- 9/00-present Research Scientist
- Started project on bioinformatics visualization.
- Microsoft Research.
- 6/98-9/98, Intern, User Interfaces Group.
- Started research project for visualizing linguistic queries
(completed after returning to Stanford).
- Silicon Graphics, Inc.
- 3/96-6/98, Part-Time Consultant. 6/97-9/97, Intern.
- Adapting research software for visualizing graphs in 3D hyperbolic
space for integration with a Web site management product.
- Technical University of Berlin
- 5/95-7/95 Visiting Researcher
- Continued work on visualizing graphs in 3D hyperbolic space as a
visitor to the Differential Geometry and Quantum Physics group (SFB
- The Geometry Center
- The National Science and Technology Research Center for Computation
and Visualization of Geometric Structures
- 6/92-5/95 Senior Technical Staff, 6/91-6/92 Apprentice.
- One of three-person team responsible for design,
implementation, documentation, distribution, and maintenance of Geomview, a
public domain 3D interactive visualization package with thousands of
Adapted research software for use by the general public as the
Triangle Tiling computer exhibit with Center staff member Stuart
Levy. The exhibit is on permanent display at the Science Museum of
Minnesota and was shown at The Edge, the interactive installation
showcase at SIGGRAPH 94.
Led the WebOOGL
development team, which created a prototype
browser for integrating 3D graphics with the Web as part of the VRML
1.0 standards process.
Co-director and one of the animators of
The Shape of
Space, an 11-minute computer generated mathematical video introducing
the basic concepts of 2- and 3-manifolds, shown at the SIGGRAPH
95 Electronic Theater.
- One of the directors and animators of Outside In, a
22-minute computer generated mathematical video about turning a sphere
inside out, shown in the Siggraph 94 Electronic Theater and Screening
Room. Outside In has won awards at NICOGRAPH, the London Effects and
Animation Festival, Prix Pixel Imagina, and Prix Ars Electronica.
- Geometry Supercomputer Project
- 6/90-9/90, Summer Intern
Wrote RenderMan scene snapshot driver for OOGL (Object Oriented
Graphics Libraries) and incorporated it into MinneView (a 3D interactive
viewer), under the direction of staff member Charlie Gunn.
Improved MinneView in response to user requests.
- ETA Systems (former supercomputer subsidiary of Control Data)
- 6/86-9/88, Summer and Part-Time Intern.
Ported large-scale biochemical FORTRAN code to CYBER 205, created
user-friendly front end interface. Assisted on port of 2D and 3D
FORTRAN graphics libraries to CYBER 205 and ETA 10 supercomputers.
Wrote TurboPascal graphics metafile translator for IBM-PC.
Provided FORTRAN and Unix technical support for high school teacher
and student summer institute.
Last modified: Mon Dec 17 20:44:07 PST 2001