Papers and articles available on the web will not be handed out in class. Pointers to the online versions of papers are included by the reference. You are expected to download and print these papers yourselves. One reason for doing this is that many graphics papers contain pictures that do not reproduce well when copied. The ACM and IEEE Digital Libraries are now available online for Stanford students. They are a great resource: learn to use them.
Hint: Reading the material before class will make the lectures much more understandable!
Note: Some links require a Stanford campus IP address. Apparently not all dorm IPs are recognized by the external online libraries. The following web page has details on how to set the Stanford web proxy for accessing these papers: http://garamond.stanford.edu/apcproxy/
Physically Based Rendering: Design and Implementation
of a Rendering System.
PDF Version: pbis.pdf (9 MB)
Note: Access to this PDF is restricted to people who have registered for the class. If you are having trouble accessing this document, please email email@example.com.
The following books are on reserve in the Math/CS library.
· Michael Cohen and John Wallace, Radiosity and Realistic Image Synthesis, Academic Press.
· David Ebert, F. Kenton Musgrave, Darwyn Peachey, Steven Worley, Ken Perlin, Texturing and Modeling, Third edition, Morgan Kaufmann, 2002.
· James Foley, Andy van Dam, Steven Feiner, and John Hughes, Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, Second edition in C, Addison-Wesley.
· Henrik Wann Jensen, Realistic Image Synthesis Using Photon Mapping A. K. Peters, 2001.
· Peter Shirley, Realistic Ray Tracing, A. K. Peters, 2001.
· D. Greenberg, A framework for realistic image synthesis, CACM 42(8), pp. 44-53, Aug. 1999. (pdf)
· Appel, Some techniques for the machine rendering of solids, Proc. of the Spring Joint Computer Conference, pp. 37-45, 1968.
· R. A. Goldstein, R. Nagel, 3-D visual simulation, Simulation, 16(1), pp. 25-31, Jan. 1971.
· T. Whitted, A improved illumination model for shaded display, CACM, 23(6), pp. 343-349, June 1980. (pdf)
· E. Haines, Essential ray tracing algorithms, In Glassner, An Introduction to Ray Tracing, pp. 33-78.
· P. Hanrahan, A survey of ray-surface intersection algorithms, In Glassner, An Introduction to Ray Tracing, pp. 79-120.
· T. Moller, B. Trumbore, Fast, minimum storage ray-triangle intersection, Journal of Graphics Tools, 2(1), pp. 21-28, 1997. (ps.gz).
· P. Hanrahan, Ray-triangle and ray-quadrilateral intersection in homogeneous coordinates, unpublished manuscript. (pdf)
· J. Arvo, D. Kirk, A survey of ray tracing acceleration structures, In Glassner, An Introduction to Ray Tracing, pp. 201-262.
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapters 1 and 4.
· J. Arvo, Ray tracing with meta-hierarchies, In SIGGRAPH 90 Advanced Topics in Ray Tracing Course Notes, 1990. (ps)
Comparison of many common acceleration data structures, including grids, hierarchical grids, adaptive grids, k-d trees, and oct-trees. A technical paper describing their results is available from this page.
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis: Design and Implementation of a Rendering System, Chapters 1-3 (Section 3.7 optional).
April 15 Radiometry I: Foundations
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapter 5
· P. Hanrahan, Rendering concepts, In Cohen and Wallace, Radiosity and Realistic Image Synthesis, pp. 13-40.
o Describes the PIXAR uberlight shader, as well as issues in controlling lighting in motion picture production.
· J. Palmer, Radiometry and Photometry FAQ
R. McCluney, Introduction
to Radiometry and Photometry, Artech House,
April 17 Cameras, Film, and the Imaging Pipeline
· C. Kolb, D. Mitchell, P. Hanrahan, A realistic camera model for computer graphics, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 95 (Los Angelos, CA, August 6-11, 1995), In Computer Graphics Proceedings, Annual Conference Series, 1995, ACM SIGGRAPH, pp. 317-324. (paper).
· Kate Devlin, Alan Chalmers, Alexander Wilkie, and Werner Purgathofer: Tone Reproduction and Physically Based Spectral Rendering, in Dieter Fellner and Roberto Scopignio, editors, State of the Art Reports, Eurographics 2002, pages 101--123. The Eurographics Association, September 2002. (paper)
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapters 6, 8 (Section 8.3 optional)
April 22 Radiometry II
April 24 Reflection Models I
· J. Blinn, Models of light reflection for computer synthesized pictures, SIGGRAPH 77, pp. 192-198. (pdf)
· K. Torrance and E. Sparrow, Theory for the off-specular reflection from roughened surfaces, J. of the Optical Society of America, Vol 57, No 9, pp. 1105-1144.
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapter 9
April 29 Reflection Models II
· R. Cook and K. Torrance, A reflectance model for computer graphics, SIGGRAPH 81, pp. 307-316, 1981. (acm)
· J. Kajiya and T. Kay, Rendering fur with three dimensional textures, Computer Graphics, 23(3) pp. 271-280, 1989. (acm)
· R. Lu, J. Koenderink, A. Kappers, Specularities on surfaces with tangential hairs or grooves, IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 2-7, 1999. (pdf)
May 1 Texture and Materials
· Jim Blinn and Martin Newell, Texture and reflection in computer generated images, TOG, 1976 (pdf)
· Lance Williams, Pyramidal Parametrics, SIGGRAPH 1983 (pdf)
· Darwyn Peachey, Solid Texturing of Complex Surfaces, SIGGRAPH 1985 (pdf)
· Ken Perlin, An Image Synthesizer, SIGGRAPH 1985 (pdf)
· Ebert et al, Texturing & Modeling: A Procedural Approach, Chapters 2, 6, 16
· Perlin, Improving Noise, SIGGRAPH 2002 (pdf)
May 6 Light Transport and the Rendering Equation
· J. Kajiya, The rendering equation, Computer Graphics, 17(3), pp. 143-150, 1986. (acm)
· E. Veach, A Path Integral Formulation of Light Transport, PhD Thesis. (pdf)
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapter 14
· Chapter 4, Stratified Sampling on 2-manifolds, State of the Art in Monte Carlo Ray Tracing for Realistic Synthesis, SIGGRAPH Course 29, 2001. (pdf)
o A very elegant, but advanced, discussion of uniform area sampling on arbitrary surfaces. Covers methods for stratified sampling.
· E. Veach, Sampling Random Variables, CS448 Lecture 7 Notes, 1997. (ps)
· E. Veach, Variance Reduction I, CS448 Lecture 8 Notes, 1997. (ps)
· E. Veach, Variance Reduction II, CS448 Lecture 9 Notes, 1997. (ps)
· Cook, Carpenter, Porter, Distributed ray tracing. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 84, Computer Graphics, 1984. (acm pdf)
· Chapter 3, Direct Lighting via Monte Carlo Integration, State of the Art in Monte Carlo Ray Tracing for Realistic Synthesis, SIGGRAPH Course 29, 2001. (pdf)
· E. Veach, Multiple Importance Sampling, Chapter 9, PhD Thesis. (pdf)
· P. Hanrahan, Solving the rendering equation, SIGGRAPH 2001 Course 29: Monte Carlo Ray Tracing. (pdf)
J. Arvo, Backward
ray tracing, In Developments in Ray Tracing, SIGGRAPH `86 Course Notes, August
E. LaFortune, Y.
Willems, Bi-directional path tracing, Proceedings of Compugraphics '93,
· P. Shirley, Realistic ray tracing, Chapter 11: Monte Carlo Integration, Chapter 12 Choosing sample points, and Chapter 15 Soft Shadows.
o These chapters cover the material presented in lectures. These chapters are highly recommended.
· H. W. Jensen, Global illumination using photon maps, In Rendering Techniques '96, pp. 21-30, 1996. ( Paper Page)
· E. Veach, Bidirectional Path Tracing, Chapter 10, PhD Thesis. (pdf)
· Henrik Wann Jensen, Realistic Image Synthesis Using Photon Mapping A. K. Peters, 2001.
May 20 Monte Carlo IV: Solving The Rendering Equation
· G. Ward, F. Rubinstein and R. Clear, A ray tracing solution for diffuse interreflection, SIGGRAPH '88, pp. 85-92, 1988. ( Paper Page)
· E. Veach, Metroplis Light Transport, Chapter 11, PhD Thesis. (pdf)
May 22 Participating Media & Volumetric Scattering
· N. Max, Optical models for direct volume rendering, IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 1(2), June 1995, pp. 97 - 108. (pdf)
· M. Levoy, Display of surfaces from volume data, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol. 8, No. 3, May, 1988, pp. 29-37. (ieee)
· K. Perlin, E. Hoffert, Hypertexture, Computer Graphics (Proceedings of ACM SIGGRAPH Conference), 23(3), pp. 253-262, (acm)
· J. Kajiya and B. Von Herzen, Ray tracing volume densities, Computer Graphics, 18(3), July 1984, pp. 165-174. (acm)
· R. Drebin, L. Carpenter, P. Hanrahan, Volume rendering, Computer Graphics, 18(3), July 1984, pp. 65-74. (acm)
May 27 Sampling and Reconstruction I: Theory & 2D Case
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapter 7 (Skip sections 7.4 and 7.5).
· R. Cook, Stochastic sampling in computer graphics, ACM Transactions on Computer Graphics, 5(1), pp. 51-72, Jan 1986. (acm)
· D. Mitchell, Generating antialiased images at low sampling densities, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 87, Computer Graphics 21(3), pp. 65-72, 1987. (acm)
· P. Hanrahan, Notes on signal processing for computer graphics, (unpublished manuscript). (pdf)
· R. Cook, Stochastic sampling and distributed ray tracing, In Glassner, An Introduction to Ray Tracing, pp. 161-199.
· M. Dippe, E. Wold, Antialiasing through stochastic sampling, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 85, Computer Graphics 19(3), pp. 69-78, 1985. (acm)
· T. Duff, Polygon scan conversion by exact convolution, Proceedings International Conference on Raster Imaging and Digital Typography, pp. 151-168, Cambridge University Press, Oct 1989.
May 29 Sampling and Reconstruction II: Higher-dimensional sampling techniques
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Sections 7.4 and 7.5.
· D. Mitchell, A. Netravali, Reconstruction filters for computer graphics, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 88, Computer Graphics 22(4), pp. 221-228, 1988. (pdf)
· D. Mitchell, Consequences of stratified sampling in computer graphics, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 96, p277-280 (pdf)
· D. Mitchell, Spectrally optimal sampling for distribution ray tracing, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 91, Computer Graphics 25(4), pp. 157-164, 1991. (acm)
· Thomas Kollig and Alexander Keller, Efficient Multidimensional Sampling, in G. Drettakis, and H.-P. Seidel (eds.), Computer Graphics Forum, Vol. 21 (2002), No. 3, pp. 557-563.
June 3 Sampling and Reconstruction III: Advanced anti-aliasing for texture and reflection
· Homan Igehy, Tracing Ray Differentials, Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 99, (pdf)
· M. Pharr, G. Humphreys, Physically Based Image Synthesis, Chapter 11
"Algorithms for the Detection and Elimination of Specular
Aliasing", Proc. Graphics Interface '92, May 1992, pp 86-93. (pdf)
· Chapter 2, “Building Procedural Textures”, in David Ebert, F. Kenton Musgrave, Darwyn Peachey, Steven Worley, Ken Perlin, Texturing and Modeling, Third edition, Morgan Kaufmann, 2002.