CS 348C Schedule
CS 348C - Modeling in Computer
Fall quarter, 1995
Coordinator: Apostolos Lerios
Lectures and presentations
Unless otherwise stated, the course coordinator lectures every Tuesday
on geometric modeling. On Thursdays, students present papers on
specific topics chosen from the topics list.
The overheads and notes used by the coordinator are available in
gzip-compressed and uncompressed PostScript, in both
one-overhead-per-page and four-per-page formats; the psnup
utility, available in many platforms, may be used to make other
combinations of multiple overheads on a single page.
The overheads used by the guest lecturer are available as on-line
- Thu 9/28, 2:00p - 3:00p, CIS 101
- Course administration and overview:
- Tue 10/3, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Site notation, barycentric and homogenous coordinates:
- Thu 10/5, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Light bursts: lighting and
- Tue 10/10, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Representing and specifying polynomials, Bézier curves:
- Thu 10/12, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Plants and trees: Milton Chen, Anthony Ramirez.
- Tue 10/17, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Polar forms, homogenization, and the de Boor Algorithm:
- Thu 10/19, 2:30p - 3:45p
- Field trip to Pacific Data
Images. Meet in front of CIS at 2:30p
promptly. Directions from Stanford are
- Tue 10/24, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- B-spline curves: Lyle
Ramshaw (Guest lecturer).
- Thu 10/26, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Animal movement: James Kuffner.
- Tue 10/31, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Review and examples:
- Thu 11/2, 2:30p - 3:45p, Hansen Experimental Physics
Laboratory (HEPL) Conference Room
- Light scattering: atmospheric
and subsurface: David
- Tue 11/7, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- B-spline curve topics and rational curves (part I):
- Thu 11/9, 2:30p - 3:45p, HEPL Conference Room
- Fire and smoke: Andrea Rosso, Rob Engle, Jeffrey Chan.
- Tue 11/14, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Rational curves (part II), NURBS curves, tensor-product and NURBS
patches and surfaces:
- Thu 11/16, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Unusual surfaces II:
pearlescent surfaces: Lucas Pereira, Robert James
- Tue 11/21, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Total degree patches and surfaces, and multiresolution analysis
- Thu 11/23
- No class.
- Tue 11/28, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Representing and specifying rotations, with emphasis on
- Thu 11/30, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Animal skin: Komal Sethi, Sandeep Jain.
- Tue 12/5, 2:30p - 3:45p, CIS 101
- Odds and ends: glare effects and
silver tarnish: Helios
- Thu 12/7, 2:30p - 3:45p, HEPL Conference Room
- Drape of cloth: Larry Cutler, David Redkey.
- Mon 12/11, 2:00p - 5:00p, Sweet
- Presentation of student projects to the
class and outside guests.
Dates to remember
- Fri 9/29, 5:00p
- Registration form due.
- Sat 9/30, 5:00p
- Enrollment and assignment notifications mailed to students.
- Thu 10/19, 2:30p
- Short assignment 1 due.
- Fri 10/20, 5:00p
- Signups for project proposal meetings due.
- Mon 10/23 to Thu 10/26
- Project proposal meetings.
- Tue 10/31, 2:30p
- Written project proposal due.
- Thu 11/16, 2:30p
- Short assignment 2 due.
- Fri 11/24, 5:00p
- Signups for project progress meetings due.
- Mon 11/27 to Thu 11/30
- Project progress meetings.
- Thu 12/7, 2:30p
- Short assignment 3 due.
- Wed 12/13, 5:00p
- Project writeup due. Please drop off
the printed document at the office of
the course coordinator.
Last update: 13 December 1995 by Apostolos "Toli" Lerios