The following 131 words could not be found in the dictionary of 615 words (including 615 LocalSpellingWords) and are highlighted below:

200x200   4th   added   addition   all   and   angle   angles   area   Assignment   based   bash   basic   be   became   best   bit   Book   building   by   calculate   changes   color   complex   configuration   darkness   describing   diagram   did   each   effect   encounter   examined   examples   executing   Experimentation   experimented   fairly   finished   For   forward   had   happy   image   images   In   increased   individually   Installation   installed   Intel   intensity   issues   kept   lib   libraries   light   lighting   lights   little   Mac   match   more   my   of   off   on   Once   once   Open   open   order   other   pixel   pixels   place   position   Process   process   processing   program   properties   reduced   Rendering   rendering   resolution   results   rotated   run   samples   scene   scenes   script   see   setup   shadows   shapes   short   should   size   smoothly   speed   straight   subsequently   test   testing   that   The   the   this   Tiff   to   To   translated   tried   trigonometry   turned   tweaking   up   used   was   well   went   were   what   When   while   with   worked   would   wrote  


Assignment 1

PBRT Installation

I installed PBRT on my Intel-based MacBook. In addition to PBRT I also installed OpenEXR and libTiff. The building went smoothly. I did not encounter any issues once the libraries were installed.

Rendering Process

In order to speed up the rendering process I reduced my test image resolution to 200x200 pixels. I also wrote a short bash script to run program and to subsequently open the images after it had finished executing. I also kept my pixel samples to 1 and 2 while testing to speed up the processing. Once I was happy with my results, I increased the samples as well as the resolution.

To place the lights, I examined the examples as well as the diagram describing the scene setup. I tried to match the shapes and darkness of the shadows as best I could by tweaking the position, intensity and angle of the lights. When lighting the first 2 scenes this was fairly straight forward. It became more complex as more lights were added to the scene. For the 4th configuration, I worked on each light individually with all of the other lights turned off. I used basic trigonometry to calculate the angles that the area lights should be rotated by once translated.


I experimented a little bit with the properties of the lights (color, position, size) to see what effect the changes would have on the scene.